For us as born-again believers, we have the ability to show God’s kindness to others. His kindness is an aspect of the love of God we have in our hearts because of the gift of holy spirit given to us in the new birth.
…the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost [holy spirit] which is given unto us.
I Corinthians 13 tells us what this love of God looks like. Verse 4 is where we find that love is kind.
I Corinthians 13:4:
Charity [the love of God in the renewed mind in manifestation] suffereth long, and is kind….
As born-again believers having God’s love, we can choose to manifest the very kindness of God to people every day. Let’s see what the kindness of God is and how we can share it.
As I Corinthians 13:4 shows, being kind is an aspect of the love of God. This word “kind” means good, gentle, benevolent, or benign; actively beneficent in spite of ingratitude. Because we have God’s love, we can show His kindness, His goodness and gentleness, to others. As we put God’s Word in our minds and live with His love, we can be gentle and kind no matter how others respond.
God manifested His kindness when He made the new birth available to all who confess Jesus as lord in their lives and believe in their hearts that God raised him from the dead (Romans 10:9).
But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared.
Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour.
And God will continue to show His kindness to us.
That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
In response to God’s kindness, we too can manifest kindness in our actions day by day. Kindness is in our power to give because God showed His kindness to us by giving His Son for us. We put on the kindness of God in our minds and then manifest it toward others.
Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering.
Now let’s consider how we can share God’s kindness in four areas of our daily life.
- IN OUR FAMILIES. We can speak the Word to one another in the morning, afternoon, and night. We are willing to listen to each other and to provide sound Biblical principles that bring positive results. We can show kindness through our forgiveness, praise, prayers, and encouragement. As we keep God’s kindness as a standard for our actions, our relationships with our families can be sweet and loving no matter what comes up.
- IN OUR HOUSEHOLD FELLOWSHIPS.
As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.
- Our kindness is a big part of being especially good to the household of believers. And our household fellowships provide a tremendous setting in which to shower God’s love and kindness upon one another. We show kindness in our actions by looking for ways to give and take care of one another. Praying for each other, sending notes to bless, calling each other, offering our help, and witnessing together are a few of the many ways we can share God’s kindness.
- IN OUR WORKPLACES. Our loving-kindness that shines forth as we live the Word blesses and helps others. We pray for our workplaces and our coworkers. We believe for our workplaces to prosper. We are examples of positive, honest, hardworking employees who put forth our best efforts every day. We can smile and say kind things. We have the privilege to show God’s kindness to others so they can respond to it. Our kind examples will make a big difference!
- IN OUR COMMUNITIES. It is kind to show respect toward and support for our neighborhoods and community activities. Taking care of our homes and taking pride in our neighborhoods are also ways to show our kindness. To get to know our neighbors, we can invite them over for a meal, coffee, or fellowship. We can lend a hand to a neighbor. As we learn the needs of people, we can help them get their need supplied by the Word we share.
God has shown His love and kindness toward us. We have the privilege to show forth His kindness as we share it in our daily actions. Let’s make the decision each day to manifest great kindness in all that we do and to all we meet. We can love big by being kind!